This homemade Butter Chicken recipe is an easy and comforting curry that will transport you to India! Made with chicken thighs, fresh garlic and spices, this Butter Chicken is a flavoursome dish that’s ready in 45 minutes!
Now, I can’t really take the credit for this one. This is my sister’s Butter Chicken recipe and it is one of her best dishes. And with her permission, I will be delighted to share that recipe with you!
As with all my recipes, this curry is very easy to make for a busy family! And they will sure be impressed when you dish up an authentic Butter Chicken that was made from scratch in under an hour!
How to Make Butter Chicken at Home
This is your quick and easy guide to making your own curry from scratch! No store bought curry sachets here!
Step One. Prep all your veggies and chicken. Chop the meat, dice the garlic and onion.
Step Two. Add some butter to the pan and brown off the meat. Set aside for later! The important part is to NOT clean out the pan because all that melted butter and chicken juices is flavour!
Step Three. Now it’s time to sauté the onions with a little extra butter for a few minutes before adding in the garlic and the spices!
Step Four. Add the cream and passata and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the chicken back to the pan and stir in some more butter. After all, it is called Butter Chicken, right?!
Step Five. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with rice, naan bread and papadams!
It is a very simple recipe and I hope you all enjoy it!
For the Curry
- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- 1kg boneless/skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1” chunks
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 cups passata
- 2 cups cream
- salt & pepper, to taste
- basmati rice
- naan bread
- papadams (optional)
- Add 2 tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and, working in batches, cook the chicken until browned. Set aside.
- Melt another 2 tbsp of butter in the pan over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the garlic, garam masala, ginger, chilli powder, cumin, cayenne and sugar. Stir to combine, and cook for about 45 seconds before adding the passata.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and let cook for 5 minutes before adding in the cream. Bring the mixture back to a simmer, return the chicken to the pan and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Keep the heat low here and don’t boil it too hard.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tbsp of butter and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with rice, naan bead or papadams.
You May Also Like…
Let’s Be Social!