This homemade Chicken and Vegetable Soup is an easy and simple classic for winter! Loaded with shredded chicken, garlic, simple vegetables and seasonings, this is a comforting broth of goodness! It’s also a healthy and light dinner option that is sure to help you feel better when you’re sick!
What could be better on a cold winters night than a hearty, nutritious bowl of hot chicken and vegetable soup?! It’s just a feel good meal! It’s the thing I crave when I have even the slightest hint of a cold and it always seems to make you feel better!
It’s no secret that I love soup. During this past winter, I’ve shared with you a couple of tasty soup recipes like my Potato, Leek & Bacon Soup and also my Tomato & Mixed Bean Soup. What can I say? On a cold winters night, soup just makes me feel all cosy!
As for this chicken soup, I’ve decided to keep it nice and simple. You could go nuts with spices and seasoning but sometimes it’s the classics that we tend to crave in times of need – like when you’re shivering on the couch or curled up in bed with a fever.
And because this soup is so simple, it’s also incredibly easy to make for any night of the week. And any leftovers you might have can be kept in the fridge for lunches or dinners the following days or it can be frozen for up to three months for those times you just don’t feel like cooking.
MAKING THE SOUP
This chicken and vegetable soup is so easy to make! All you have to do is add the carrot, celery, onion, leek and garlic to a large saucepan and gently sautè until tender. Then you can add the stock, thyme, bay leaf and chicken thighs and simmer for around an hour.
The next step is to take the chicken out, shred it up and then add it back to the saucepan along with beans. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until beans are tender and check for seasoning! And that’s it!
TIPS AND VARIATIONS
- Make sure to sauté the vegetables until very soft and tender to make sure the sweet flavours are brought out
- Try and use the best stock you can get your hands on
- Add in some cooked pasta just before serving for an easy chicken noodle soup
- Just about any vegetables can be added to the soup to suit your taste preferences
- Try adding some fresh chillies for a spicy twist
WATCH THE VIDEO!
CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE SOUP
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 L chicken stock
- 250ml water
- 4 chicken thighs (about 500g)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme (see notes)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup green beans, cut to desired length
- crusty bread, to serve
- Add oil, garlic, onion, carrot, celery and leek to a large saucepan over medium heat and sautè until vegetables are soft and tender.
- Pour in chicken stock and water and bring to a gentle simmer before adding whole chicken thighs, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken, shredded and return to saucepan along with beans. Check for seasoning and simmer, covered, for 5-10 minutes or until beans are tender. Serve with fresh, crusty bread.
- If you can’t get fresh thyme, you can substitute for 1/4 tsp of dried thyme.