Homemade banana & cinnamon muffins with a crunchy oat topping! An easy treat with only a handful of ingredients! Use up those overripe bananas and make these tasty muffins for morning tea, lunchboxes or an anytime snack!
We’ve all been there. Having bought a large bunch of bananas, only to let a few become victim to now being an ugly shade of brown. You don’t want to eat them. The kids don’t want to eat them. So what do we do? Throw them out?
Well before you think about wasting yet another unlucky banana, feast your eyes on this overripe banana saving recipe! My Banana & Cinnamon Muffins are an easy way to avoid the dreaded food waste (and the guilt that comes with it!) and also treat yourself to a yummy baked snack!
And did I mention that they’re perfect for the kids lunchboxes? Because they are…but hey, they’re perfect for work lunchboxes too.
These homemade banana muffins are great just how they are, but if you want to take it to the next level, just heat them up and add a drizzle of golden syrup over the top to turn them into more of a dessert!
Banana & Cinnamon Muffins with a Crunchy Oat Topping
Ingredients1 3/4 cup self-raising flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 small overripe bananas (450g)
1 cup milk
60g butter, melted
1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the Oats
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 and grease a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Combine flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add mashed bananas, milk, butter and cinnamon and stir until well combined. Divide mixture evenly between muffin tin.
- For the crunchy oat topping, combine oats, honey and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Divide oat mixture evenly among the muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Enjoy as they are or serve them warm with a drizzle of maple syrup and ice cream.