Cheese & Broccoli Stuffed Chicken Breasts are the perfect comfort food! The delicious combination of broccoli and cheese works so well with baked crumbed chicken for an easy dinner the whole family will love!
Recently, we were lucky enough to be given some fresh homegrown broccoli from our friends; Bec & Farmer John (as they jokingly call him!), who have been having a great harvest in their veg patch.
I was so happy with the fresh produce and couldn’t wait to turn it into something special! And we all know how much of a perfect combination broccoli is with cheese!
So this recipe for my Cheese & Broccoli Stuffed Chicken Breasts was a must for dinner! A beautiful baked chicken breast, crumbed and stuffed with a gooey creamy cheese and broccoli filling!
And the best thing is, it’s so EASY! All you have to do is combine the filling ingredients, stuff it in the chicken breast and crumb them before giving them a quick fry and baking to golden perfection! Yum!
I love to serve these stuffed chicken breasts with mashed potatoes and vegetables, like this Warm Grilled Zucchini Salad or even this Apple, Rocket & Pine Nut Salad, but cutting into these babies is all you really need to dinner!
Crumbed Cheese & Broccoli Stuffed Chicken Breasts
For the Fillling
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
125g cream cheese
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp salt
For the Chicken
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp salt
pepper, to taste
1/2 cup plain flour
oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 180℃ and line a baking tray with baking paper. Set aside.
- Roughly chop broccoli into florets and blitz in a food processor until fine rice-sized pieces are formed, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add cheddar, cream cheese, garlic and salt and blitz until well combined. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, make an incision from just before the top of the breast down to just before the bottom. Use your fingers to form a pocket inside the breast. Be sure to stop 1/2 an inch from the ends and sides. Repeat with remaining breasts.
- Spoon a tbsp of mixture into each chicken breast and secure with toothpicks if needed.
- In three separate shallow bowls or plates, add breadcrumbs, flour and beaten up eggs. Season breadcrumbs with 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Dip each chicken breast in flour, then egg and finally in the breadcrumbs, making sure each one is evenly coated. Shallow fry breasts on both sides until golden and place on prepared baking tray. Cook in oven for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!
1. When crumbing the chicken, it’s a good tip to have a ‘wet’ hand and a ‘dry’ hand. Only use the ‘wet’ hand for dipping in the egg, the ‘dry’ hand for the flour and breadcrumbs and it prevents breadcrumbs and flour going in the egg.
2. If needed, use toothpicks or butchers twine to secure the breasts if you’re worried about the filling coming out.