Juicy and tender bite sized pieces of chicken thighs, red onion and capsicum are marinated in the delicious Greek flavours of lemon and herbs! This is an easy and simple dinner recipe that is perfect for the whole family!
Let’s talk skewers. I love them. LOVE them. They’re honestly my favourite thing to throw on the barbecue in the summer time and the first thing I always go to.
And I know we still have a few months until summer but spring is here and for me, that’s close enough! Bring on the bbq recipes!
The chicken skewers I’m sharing today have been inspired by some delicious and classic Greek flavours! They’re zesty, fresh, juicy and oh so addicting! What’s not to love?!
I recommend serving these chicken kebabs with a Greek salad, some tzatziki or pita bread to create more of a Greek meal. But that being said, it’s perfectly okay (and definitely delicious) to just have them by themselves!
Making the Chicken Skewers
Okay, so I’m not going to lie – making any type of shish kebob can get quite repetitive. The best way to do it is to just get it done as fast as you can. But it is a great task to get the kids involved in!
To make the skewers, you just want to make sure all of your chicken and vegetables are cut roughly to the same size pieces. Then just decide what order you would like them in and get threading!
Once that process is completed, just pour over the marinade and leave in the fridge for a couple hours, tossing occasionally to make sure everything gets evenly coated in the marinade!
Then you can grill them for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through and the juices run clear. All done!
Greek Chicken Skewers
For the Marinade
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped (see notes)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped (see notes)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for grilling
- salt & pepper, to taste
For the Skewers
- 4 chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- For the marinade, add lemon juice, garlic, honey, herbs, oil, salt and pepper to a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Thread chicken onto skewers, alternating with capsicum and onion. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Add to a large container with a secure lid and pour over marinade, tossing to evenly coat. Place in the fridge and marinate for around 2 hours, tossing again at 1 hour.
- Grill skewers for 3-4 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- If you can’t get fresh herbs, just substitute with 1/3 tsp of dried thyme and 2/3 tsp of dried parsley