Think making your own Frittata is just too complicated? Well, you would definitely be wrong about that one! Although Frittata might sound like something you would only order for a pricey Sunday Brunch at a trendy café, it’s actually an incredibly easy and cheap dish to make at home!
Frittatas are one of the best clean-out-the-fridge kind of meals and it really doesn’t matter what you put in it. Pretty much whatever veggies you have on hand can be turned into a cheesy, creamy, eggy treat that can be eaten for breakfast, brunch, dinner or lunch!
This recipe I’m sharing today is for a Zucchini & Capsicum Frittata. I absolutely love adding grated zucchini to Frittatas! I love the bits of green that go all through the eggs. I also add onion and bacon, which are absolute musts for any Frittata, in my opinion.
Making The Frittata
Start off by gently sautéing the bacon and onion in an ovenproof frying pan. Once they’re nicely coloured, add your grated zucchini and diced capsicum. Next is the ‘custard’. This is the mixture that gets poured all over the veggies and meat.
It’s made by combining eggs, cream and cheese and then seasoning with salt and pepper, but for this recipe I’ve also added some wholegrain mustard and paprika for a little extra flavour! Now you just whisk it all up and pour it in the frying pan.
The next step is to let the Frittata cook a little so that the eggs set around the edges. The cooking process is then finished in the oven!
If you don’t have an ovenproof frying pan, alternatively you can just make this recipe in a pie dish. That is what I have done in the pictures below to show you the process!
What Else Can Go in a frittata?
Okay, so it might be easier to list what can’t go in Frittata! Alright, only joking; but honestly you can pretty much add whatever you like. Basically any veggies or meats, spices, cheeses, herbs. It’s the best way to do a fridge clean out.
I even remember one time we had pizza for dinner and cut up too many toppings so we put them in a container in the fridge. The next day, we turned them into a frittata. We had bacon, ham, mushrooms, olives, capsicum, red onions and lots of cheese! Maybe even some pepperoni?
The point is, it was amazing and no one would have known it was just leftovers. But between you and me, it did smell a bit like pizza while it was cooking! And that was definitely a good thing!
Zucchini & Capsicum Frittata
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 rashers short cut bacon, diced
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup cream
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/3 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper, to taste (see notes)
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1/4 cup diced red capsicum
- 1/4 cup diced green capsicum
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Place a large ovenproof frying pan on medium heat and add oil, onion and bacon. Sauté until golden and the onions are tender.
- Meanwhile, combine eggs, cream, cheese, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper to a medium bowl and whisk until thoroughly incorporated. Set aside.
- Add zucchini and capsicum to the frying pan and pour over egg custard. Cook for 5 minutes or until the edges just start to set.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes or until eggs are set and the top is golden.
- I recommend being a little generous with the salt, as sometimes eggs can taste a little bland without proper seasoning.
- If you don’t have an ovenproof frying pan, you can just make this recipe in a large pie dish!