These homemade Beef & Horseradish Burgers are an easy weeknight treat! Quick and easy, these homemade beef patties are made with ground beef mince, seasoned to perfection and paired perfectly with a special horseradish cream sauce and caramelised onions! Perfect for BBQ’s, grilling and family dinners!
Burgers are probably the most iconic fast food there is. They’re definitely one of the most convenient take-out options around. But more often than not, those last minute take-out burgers leave you feeling disappointed. I mean, when I’m craving a burger I want a big, juicy, hot beef patty with fresh salad and a sauce that has a flavour you can’t get out of a bottle.
That’s why I often like to make my own burgers! My Beef & Horseradish Burgers will make you forget why you ever needed a take-away menu in the first place. What really sets this homemade burger apart from the rest is my easy 2-ingredient horseradish cream sauce and caramelised onions that taste amazing on top of the homemade beef patty.
And they are so quick and easy to make! For the sauce, all you have to do is add the horseradish to the sour cream and stir well to combine. That’s it. Simple. And for the caramelised onions, just add sliced onions, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar to a saucepan and saute on a low heat for 15-20 minutes.
As for the the burger patty itself, I decided to keep things simple. I think it’s better to let the meat shine for itself, to let the flavours in the beef be the hero and to have a few things to spice it up without going over the top. And as I said before, the sauce and onions are where you’ll get the big flavour punch for this recipe. As for the salads, they’re simple too; but for this burger, Rocket (or arugula) is my choice of greens. The peppery taste you get from the rocket goes so well with the beef and horseradish.
Making the Patties
- Using clean hands, mix the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, wholegrain mustard, breadcrumbs and egg into the beef mince gently, not over working the meat.
- Divide the meat mixture into 6 even burger patties.
- Heat a large frying pan, barbecue or grill to a high heat and cook on both sides for a couple minutes until nicely coloured and cooked through, but do NOT press down on them whilst cooking.
- Place a slice of cheese on each patty and allow to melt.
- Remove from grill and place onto toasted buns along with rocket, tomato, caramelised onions and the horseradish cream sauce.
Can You Freeze the Burger Patties?
Yes, you sure can! Just wrap each patty up individually in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. I do this ALL the time, but they never last 3 months!
Tips & Tricks for the Perfect Burgers
- Be gentle when making the patties. Try not to overwork the mixture.
- Keep the patties in the fridge until you’re ready to cook them so they don’t fall apart.
- When cooking the patties, do NOT press down on them. This pushes the meaty juices out of the beef and leaves you with a dryer burger. Not good.
- Toast the buns. It makes them tasty and gives a nice texture, also it prevents them from going soggy.
- Use the freshest ingredients you can find. Fresh tomatoes. Fresh rocket (or lettuce). Fresh buns. Good quality beef.
Beef & Horseradish Burgers with Caramilsed Onions
For the Patties
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, finely diced
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
salt & pepper, to taste
1 tbsp oil
For the Caramelised Onions
1 large onion, sliced
2 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
For the Sauce
1 1/2 tsp cream-styled prepared horseradish
6 slices cheddar cheese
rocket (arugula) or lettuce
- For the burger patties, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl with your hands and separate into 6 even patties.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a large pan or grill on high heat and cook on both sides until nicely coloured and cooked through. Place a slice of cheese on each patty and allow to melt.
- Meanwhile, for the caramelised onions, gently saute onions in the oil on a low heat until slightly softened and add balsamic vinegar and sugar. Let cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To make the sauce, combine sour cream and prepared horseradish in a small bowl and set aside.
- To assemble the burgers, just add rocket and sliced tomato on a bun with the patty. Place the onions on top of the meat and dollop the horseradish cream sauce on top. Devour.