These beef burrito bowls are a fresh and healthy Mexican inspired dinner for any day of the week! Made with ground beef mince and served with homemade guacamole and a tomato and corn salsa for the perfect toppings, this recipe will be a hit with the whole family!
A while back, I posted a recipe for my Homemade Mexican Spice Mix; something we make all the time in my house. So today I thought I’d share with you my (and my sisters!) favourite way to use it!
These beef burrito bowls are something that is often on our dinner menu. They’re fresh and so easy to make, plus they taste great! But the thing that I really love about them is that they are really customisable!
For example, my sister absolutely loves them; however she doesn’t like tomato. She serves hers without the salsa. And my mum doesn’t like sour cream. No big deal, just leave it out!
The point is, you can really adapt this burrito bowl to suite your taste preferences. You can even add beans if you like.
But honestly, all that aside this really is a great and healthy dinner option you can feel good about. Just look at all those colours! If this is what it means to eat the rainbow, I’m in.
Beef Burrito Bowls
- 1 tbsp oil
- 500g beef mince
- 1 x quantity Mexican Spice Mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 medium avocados
- juice of 1 lime
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp diced red onion
- 130g tinned sweet corn kernels
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- In a large frying pan on medium heat, brown off mince along with oil, breaking up big chunks until nice and small. Add the spice mix along with 1/3 cup of water and allow to simmer until the liquid has reduced.
- Meanwhile, add avocado and juice of half a lime to a bowl and mash with a fork until desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add tomato, red onion, corn and remaining lime juice and stir well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Divide rice and meat evenly amongst four serving bowls and top with guacamole, salsa, cheese and sour cream.