This Beetroot, Red Onion and Feta Tarte Tatin is a fresh and easy appetiser or light meal! The sweet, earthy flavours of the beetroot pair so well with the caramelised onion and salty feta cheese! This Tarte Tatin is sure to impress!
Can you believe it’s the first week of Spring already?! It is just starting to warm up here and the gardens are coming alive! It’s a wonderful time! And what better way to enjoy the start of a new season than with a tasty little treat?!
Well, with this recipe I’m calling all lovers of beetroot! This easy Tarte Tatin is a simple and delicious recipe to serve this Spring! The deep rich colours of the purple beetroot are just the thing to welcome in the new season!
What is a Tarte Tatin?
A Tarte Tatin is a delicious French pastry in which fruits (or in this case, vegetables!) are caramelised in butter and sugar and then baked! It’s a very simple dish to make and is impressive when served to guests.
The pastry is placed over top of the filling instead of the filling going inside the pastry. Once baked, it’s then flipped over onto a serving plate and the pastry is then on the bottom.
More Spring Recipes…
Beetroot, Red Onion and Feta Tarte Tatin
- 1 x 165g sheet puff pastry
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 500g beetroot, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 25g feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh rocket
- Preheat oven to 180°C and set pastry aside to defrost if using frozen. Gently heat oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat until butter has melted.
- Add garlic and onion and cook until onions are slightly tender. Add beetroot to frying pan and stir until everything is evenly coated in butter.
- Add balsamic vinegar, sugar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon beetroot and onions into a 20cm pie dish, making sure the beetroots are cut side up. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover with pastry, tucking the edges into the sides of the pie dish to fit tightly around the filling. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes before inverting into a serving plate. Sprinkle with crumbled feta and rocket leaves. Serve.