This easy satay chicken rice bowl with Asian greens is fresh, healthy and oh so delicious. It’s made with seasoned grilled chicken thighs and sautéed Asian vegetables; Bok Choy, and with a satay peanut sauce to tie everything together! Served with rice, this is a quick dinner meal that is sure to impress.
I’ve had ‘chicken satay bowl’ written down in my notebook of random thoughts for ages now, but I’ve never gotten around to actually figuring out what I meant by that. That’s what I do. I write random things down that come to me at the most random times. Mostly food things….ok, always food things.
I’ve always loved satay dishes and I really love eating out of bowls (and that was before it was trendy 😉) so I just thought that I could somehow combine the two. So I’m pleased to say that I have finally gotten around to developing my recipe and here it is!
So, Satay is a dish of grilled chicken on skewers with a peanut dipping sauce and marinade. It originated in Indonesia and is one of my favourite Asian dishes. I’ll be the first to say that my satay chicken bowl recipe does stray from tradition (it’s not skewered) but don’t fear, it still has all the flavours you would usually get from a normal satay.
As for the vegetable part of the dish, I went with Bok Choy, although any Asian greens can be substituted. All you have to do for them is chop in half and gently sauté in a hot frying pan along with some salt and garlic salt, adding a splash of water to add some steam.
I really hope you enjoy this satay bowl, and if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers they make a great lunch for work the next day!
Chicken Satay Bowl with Asian Greens & Rice
Ingredients2 tbsp olive oil
2 chicken thighs
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 bok choy
4 tbsp white rice
2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
juice of 1/4 lime
1 small red chilli, finely diced
1 tbsp milk
4 tbsp water
1 tbsp crushed peanuts
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and add rice and plenty of salt. Once rice has cooked, drain and set aside.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and add chicken. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic salt and cook until golden. Turn over and season other side of the chicken and continue to cook until golden on both sides and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cut the bok choy in half lengthwise and place cut side down in the frying pan. Season with salt and cook on both sides until golden and tender. Adding a tbsp of water helps it to almost steam whilst cooking. Remove both the chicken and bok choy from pan.
- While the chicken and bok choy is cooking, add remaining oil to a small saucepan on medium heat. Add peanut butter, soy sauce, chilli, lime juice and milk and stil to combine. Add the water spoon by spoon, stirring to incorporate after each until the sauce is at desired consistency. Set aside.
- Divide rice, bok choy and chicken between two bowls. Spoon satay sauce over each piece of chicken and sprinkle over crushed peanuts. Serve and enjoy!