This sausage Paella is a hearty and delicious weeknight family dinner that won’t blow the budget! Packed with sausages, rice & vegetables it will definitely go down a treat!
If you’ve ever heard of or seen a Paella, you would probably associate it with seafood. But if we’re really being honest; seafood ain’t cheap. My goal with this recipe is to create a cheap and budget friendly meal that delivers on flavour.
Other than being great for the budget, this recipe is perfect for meal prepping and it’s also packed with veggies which makes it good for you too! What more could you ask for?!
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 8 beef sausages, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/3 capsicum, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 x 400g tins diced tomatoes
- 2 bunches asparagus, diced into 3cm pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook rice according to packet instructions
- Saute onion and capsicum in a large frying pan on medium heat along with oil.
- Add sausages to the pan, tossing regularly for around 3-4 minutes or until browned off.
- Add the garlic, cumin, paprika and tumeric and stir until fragrant, around 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, asparagus and cooked rice. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Add peas and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until the sausage is cooked through completely. Serve.