An easy and comforting homemade Beef Stroganoff recipe for all the family! A delicious and quick weeknight dinner of tender steak strips and mushrooms cooked in a rich and creamy gravy that is served with potatoes or pasta and fresh bread for wiping up all the saucy goodness!
Beef Stroganoff is one of those hearty comfort foods that just seems to soothe the soul. It’s the kind of dish that you crave on a cold winters night and that the whole family love.
My mum calls these kinds of saucy, comfort foods “bread sopping” meals, because often the best part is wiping up all the sauce at the end with a fresh slice of buttery bread!
I will be honest and say that until recently, the only beef Stroganoff I’d had was made from a sachet. I am ashamed to say it, I know. So after deciding that I needed to find an actual beef Stroganoff recipe, I began searching the internet for the very best one.
The first recipe I tried did not go well at all. The sauce wasn’t very creamy and was actually really oily due to having quite a lot of tomato paste in it. But the thing I found weird was that it didn’t call for any onions. That was one of the few ingredients I was sure of. I was thoroughly disappointed by the results but was determined to continue my search.
The next one I tried wasn’t right either. It was alright, but it was just missing something. After the third recipe not working out, I realised that I needed to create my own recipe. So I did some experimenting and after a few attempts (and lots of beef Stroganoff dinners!) I finally got it!
you may also like…
- Easy Shakshuka
- Chicken Satay Bowl with Asian Greens & Rice
- Quick & Easy Spaghetti with a Chunky Marinara Sauce
A soul-soothing, winter warming, delicious and comforting Beef Stroganoff recipe and I’m delighted to be sharing it with you today!
Now, this recipe is super simple and quick to make; you’ll have it on the table in no time! I love to serve my Stroganoff with jacket potatoes or creamy mashed potatoes and fresh bread but you could also serve it with pasta if you prefer!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 500g steak, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 500ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 150ml sour cream
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Coat steak strips in flour and add to oiled frying pan on medium heat and cook until the meat is browned.
- Meanwhile, slice onion and mushrooms and finely dice garlic. Add to the frying pan and sauté until vegetables are soft and coloured.
- Sprinkle over paprika and add stock, worcestershire sauce and mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes and add remaining flour, stirring constantly until well combined.
- Cook on a gentle simmer for a few minutes and add garlic salt. Taste for seasoning and add sour cream. Stir thoroughly to combine and remove from heat. Serve with pasta or mashed potatoes and fresh bread.